There are two things we love sewing: (1) Hacking patterns together (2) Pockets (really big useful pockets) This dress has both!
Getting to add pockets to garments is one of the greatest things about sewing. On the rare occasion, we walk into a store to buy clothing, we are constantly on the hunt for clothes with pockets. So when you get to make your own clothes, you get the opportunity to put pockets in everything!
Fabric: Woven Stretch Cotton Sateen Fabric Green from Minerva
Those who have been following up for a while will know the cotton sateen fabric is one of our favourite fabrics to sew. Cotton sateen is easy to sew with, comfortable to wear and comes in many colours or patterns. And this fabric was no exception. This fabric is a lighter cotton sateen, with a vibrant green background and delicate floral print. The black theme in the pattern means it was really easy to pair with white or black shoes, but still keeping the over vibe of the fabric colourful and bright! See the fabric on Minerva here
Pattern: Butterick 6410 and Vogue 9357
For this dress, we hacked the skirt and pocket combo onto Butterick 6410. Butterick 6410 have a great collar option and centre seam across the bust. To create a feature of these design lines, we used a bias to highlight the seams. Rather than a standard cotton bias, we used a satin bias which creates a great contrast against the green fabric.
One of our favourite pockets are from the pattern Vogue 9357 – they are big and very useful patch pockets. Patch pockets often remind us of vintage kids clothes, only this pattern turns them into modern corporate pockets. It helps that they are sewN into the side seams, giving the pockets a more modern vibe, it also helps keep them sturdy once you fill the pockets!
Vogue 9357 is also a great skirt pattern with an A-line calf length skirt. It is one of our favourite patterns to make and hack onto other bodice fabrics.
We are excited to be welcomed as part of the Minerva Maker team! Showcasing their beautiful fabrics, we are looking forward to showing you a variety of different makes. You can shop Minerva Craft’s full range of fabrics here.
Our first Minerva make ticks so many of our sewing boxes:
Bright and fun pattern
Cotton sateen (one of our FAVOURITE fabrics to sew with)
re-wearable for events as well as work
and did we mention… it is a jumpsuit!
If you have followed us for a while, you will know that cotton sateen is one of our favourite fabrics to sew. The thicker cotton makes it easy to sew, with the slight stretch making it comfortable and easy to wear.
We had made the jumpsuit before and loved the style and fit of the pattern. However, we really wanted to add a collar onto the jumpsuit. While we could have tried to attach a collar to the existing neckline, we decided to swap out the bodice pattern altogether.
After a hunt through our pattern collection, we create a shortlist of bodice options. We were focused on finding a pattern that had design lines we could feature in the bodice which wouldn’t get ‘lost’ in the busy print. The great thing about pattern hacking it is like a food buffet, you can combine two half meals together or have a little bit of a lot of foods – the options are endless
In the end, we decided on Butterick 6410. It had a collar and horizontal design feature across the bodice (see how we did this in the construction section!)
The bias was pre-pressed. We ironed out the “flaps” so the raw edges are togetherTo increase accuracy we stitching the bias on one of the bodice pieces, before sandwiching the bias between the two bodice pieces
To emphasise the design lines, we added in a black flat bias around the collar and horizontal bodice line. The Minerva fabric has such fabulous (but busy) print. We wanted to avoid losing the design lines in such a busy print. Unlike piping, where you would have a cord in the bias, we used the bias pressed in half flat. This created a modern look and provided a strong feature.
Once the bodice was together we did testing fit to make sure it fit and the waist seam would match up the key points of centre front, side seams and back. It was a relatively small adjustment, adapting the patterns along the waistline to come together and worked well on the fabric.
Usually, during this time of year, we are preparing for the Melbourne Cup carnival, curating outfits and sewing hats and dresses. This year, like a lot of things, fashion on the field looks a bit different.